One of the most effective ways to keep your plants and trees healthy is by applying mulch to your garden beds. There are incredible benefits of mulching, and as a Tree Care Service provider, our team of experts frequently recommend it to our clients. In this blog, we share more about mulch and why you should start using it for your garden.
What is Mulch?
Mulch is a by-product of (usually, though not always) discarded organic materials such as grass clippings, hay, straw, leaves, bark and others.
On the Gold Coast, we commonly use what is called Forest Mulch, a type of mulch made from the tree waste created after doing Tree Maintenance Services such as Tree Pruning, Canopy Reduction and Tree Removal. Processed through a woodchipper, creating mulch is an excellent way to prevent tree waste materials from going to the landfill.
Forest Mulch on the Gold Coast is dark in colour, contrasting the usual cool, green hue of plants. As such, one of the benefits of mulching is that it can add visual aesthetic appeal to your garden.
What is the Process of Mulching?
The process involves placing Forest Mulch over the soil surface or around the base of trees. Though it may seem simple enough, incorrect mulching practices may have little to no benefit to your soil or even negatively impact the entire vegetation. To ensure you’re following proper mulching techniques, it’s best to ask the advice of qualified Arborists.
- Use the right amount of mulch. The recommended depth is 100 mm thick.
- Forest Mulch is slower to break down than other forms of mulch like straw or composted materials so it has a longer life span, providing greater coverage and requiring less maintenance. Forest Mulch usually requires topping up annually or may need an additional top off after heavy or flooding rain.
- Some mulches affect soil pH and can lead to nutrient deficiencies and toxin buildup. Ask your Tree Care Service provider for the most suitable type to use for your property.
Benefits of Mulching
There is a myriad of benefits of using Forest Mulch in your garden. Here are a few of them:
- Moderates soil temperature, keeping it at a healthy level
- Prevents water evaporation from the soil
- Reduces your need to water your plants and trees by 70%
- Insulates soil to protect roots from extreme summer and winter temperatures
- Prevents soil erosion
- Protects garden from invasive insects
- Slows down rain run-off
- Restricts weed germination and growth
- Inhibits certain plant diseases
- Encourages soil organisms (e.g. worms, good bacteria) to thrive
- Improves soil fertility (All natural forms of mulch decompose. Because forest mulch is made from trees, as it breaks down it redeposits back all the nutrients once stored in the trees back into the soil.)
- Gives planting beds an aesthetically pleasing look
Benefits of Mulching: For Healthy and Beautiful Trees
Mulching is one of the essential parts of basic tree care and upkeep. Apart from all the benefits it provides in terms of helping improve the soil quality and keeping your plants and trees growing optimally, adding Forest Mulch gives your garden landscape that well-cared-for look and makes it simply beautiful.
Did you know that you can purchase Mulch directly from Frontier Tree Services now?
Please contact us if you have questions about mulching or wish to purchase.